Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Back in the saddle

Yep, that's right. Back in the saddle again.

Back when I tried the first time to turn my health around, I struggled like crazy trying to make myself "right" again. I had no idea what was wrong with me or what was going on. All I knew was that life was pure hell. I tried whatever I could to make that change. All unsuccessfully.

Until my husband and I went to marriage counselling together. Our marriage counsellor asked me if I'd been diagnosed/treated for post partum. The answer was a resounding NO!

I was incredibly grateful she had brought it up. Every doctor I spoke with about it just wrote my feelings off as stress, anxiety or other similar feelings/emotions. Nothing was ever considered serious. I did try an anti depressant, and I did try counselling (previously at different times) and I felt that nothing ever made a difference.

Until now. Either the medication I am on is the best one for me (and a strong enough dosage) or the combination of counselling and medication did the trick. Whatever it is, I haven't felt this good since before I got pregnant. I feel like ME again- the girl I used to know.

Our marriage counselling brought up an ongoing concern that I had with my husbands own change in attitude and behaviour, so I strongly encouraged him to have it looked into.

It turns out he is now diabetic.

THAT is why I am back in the saddle again.

This unfortunate diagnosis has inspired me to get control of my life and turn things around. I'm looking for healthier recipes to cook for dinner, I'm trying to get my husband to incorporate more fruit and veggies into his diet (and mine) and I'm trying to encourage him to come exercise with me- when his schedule allows.

The exercising--I'm two days into. I go to the gym at the Miller centre. I lack the discipline to do it at home. I'm happy just riding a stationary bike and power walk the track for an hour. I'm determined to lose weight and feel better overall.

Getting moving feels great. The added bonus: the break from the kids that hour affords me! I love it!!

(They love going to the 'gym' too. There's child care available while parents exercise, and they have an absolute riot there! ! Mommy doesn't exist as soon as they walk into their day care!)

So, watch out Whitecourt. A new and improved Ali is on her way!

No comments:

Post a Comment